Friday, September 11, 2009

the fruit, the whole fruit & nothing but the fruit..

i got on the train the other day a sat near a young woman who was finishing off an apple. She ate close to the core (i presumed so there would be less to throw out? - always my issue with eating fruit on PT)
Just as i was wondering where she was going to put the core, she kept on eating - *chomp* at the bottom, *chomp* at the core (pips & all) then *chomp* went the top! BRILLIANT!
i've haven't seen such beautifully unselfconscious eating since school (& probably primary school at that).
i remembered my friend in year 3 who convinced me that eating a kiwi fruit as she did, skin & all (like an apple) was delicious (no), another who would only eat a banana by whittling it down with her teeth (like corn on a cob) & a third who was completely repulsed & amused by dried fruit & the thought of it would make him laugh so hard that he couldn't breathe (especially if he heard the word 'prune'...but prunes are funny:-)...)

5 comments:

Cath from chunkychooky said...

I have such a ridiculous fear of eating seeds I could never partake in such risky behaviour!!!

earl and cookie said...

hi Cath! did someone tell you they'd grow inside you? i vaguely remember someone telling me that about eating potato 'eyes' & a Japanese exchange student in primary school wouldn't eat the little 'stem' on a peanut cause her mum told her it meant she would have daughters(!)

angela said...

I know of peeps eating raw potato and onoions!! How.. I ask : )

Emma said...

Hello my name is Emma and I'm an apple core eater - nothing left but the stalk!

tea with lucy said...

Makes sense to me. Practical! But maybe not so enjoyable? I wouldn't want that to be my last remaining taste...